Edinburgh claimed their first win in this season’s Heineken Cup, and in the process booted Perpignan out of the competition.

The Frenchmen arrived looking for the win that would ensure progress to the knockout stages, but it was the home side who powered in for five tries.

Ally Hogg grabbed two, with Andy Kelly, Phil Godman and Ally Dickinson scoring the others to give the Scottish side their first points.

Australian Manny Edmonds and Pasquale Bomati scored Perpignan’s tries.

Brendan Laney put Edinburgh in control by slotting two early penalties.

Perpignan lost control at the last moment when they looked set for a pushover try, but finally got on the scoresheet when Edmonds kicked a penalty.

Edinburgh grabbed the game’s first try thanks to a superb break by Simon Webster.

The flying winger, returning to top flight action after a long injury lay-off, showed a superb turn of speed to burst towards the 22 metre line and play was then switched left for Hogg to plunge over in the corner.

But another driven line-out stretched Edinburgh’s resources to breaking point and right winger Bomati took advantage to nip over and give Edmonds a straightforward conversion.

Edinburgh suffered a double injury blow when lock Ally Kellock and new Aussie signing Ben MacDougall were both forced off to be replaced by Fergus Pringle and Marcus Di Rollo.

Webster’s break created the opening for Hogg and Hugo Southwell to drive towards the line and eventually hooker Andy Kelly plunged over.

Laney failed to add the extras and Perpignan hit back when Edmonds scored under the posts before slotting the conversion to put the visitors ahead for the first time.

But, after Laney had restored the lead with a slick drop goal, Edinburgh launched an amazing late salvo to salvage some Euro pride.

Hogg notched his second try of the game before Godman and Dickinson piled on the misery for Perpignan with a couple of stoppage time touchdowns. Godman converted all three to complete a superb day for Edinburgh.